Country estate in the Southern Highlands

Country estate in the Southern Highlands

About Me

My photo
Southern Highlands, NSW
Welcome to my world. I am a young Shi Tzu puppy who lives in considerable comfort at Lynwood Farm with THEM. I’m fascinated by the way people live - in the rooms they build, the gardens they plant, the treasures they collect and the comfort they create. THEY give me the complete run of the house, so I will be able to show you lots of pictures of life at Lynwood.

Monday 26 March 2012

Veggies, veggies everywhere !

when is a vegetable not a vegetable ?
when its a Chelsea cabbage ! 
(this one was bought in 1997 at the Pamela Harriman sale at Sotheby's New York).


 Here a Staffordshire rabbit sits in a vegetable patch of Anne Gordon porcelain (don't the peas look deliciously real ?). Behind are Longton Hall leaf plates. 
Anne, who was the Marchioness of Aberdeen, sadly died a few years ago. Mrs. Monro was her London dealer. 
okay, which are the real ones here ?

ice bucket in the servery

bird's eye view of kitchen drawers

leaf plates in the servery

tromp l'oeil mangoes from Pigott's Store


More Anne Gordon  vegetables, in the TV room - you can see lovely examples of her work in books written by the very clever Charlotte Moss.


THEY can't eat these eggs (but lots of people have tried to pick them up at breakfast!)







and here are the real ones, just picked for dinner tonight.

of course, all I get are biscuits, even though I love vegetables too !

8 comments:

  1. These porcelain veggies are gorgeous. So is the shi tzu. We have one as well - his name is Googly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bumble thinks Googly is an adorable name and loves getting comments so thank you

      Delete
  2. Under previous employment, I worked on the Harriman's house in Barbados. I never met him, unfortunately, but she was the most charming lady one could imagine. I am glad you are enjoying her cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun that must have been to not only work with the very stylish Mrs Harriman but on that wonderful Oliver Messel house

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vegetables are fabulous. I have seen them in Charlotte Moss's books and what a collection you have. I have never seen them for sale. Where would one find these? You are very lucky to have such a wonderful collection to enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes they come up at auction or maybe look on eBay, otherwise get in touch with Mrs Munro in London they were her dealer for years so may know of some for sale. Hope you have some luck, if I hear of any for sale I will get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful page! Just love the vegetable theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The porcelain veg are fun aren't they

    ReplyDelete